Sometimes I wonder what to have for breakfast especially when the imagination is rather wild. I happened to come across (actually a deliberate action) mug cakes recipes yesterday which caused my salivary gland to be aggressively activated in the middle of the night. The plan to treat myself a delightful breakfast was carefully thought out before I went to sleep, just to be ready the next morning :). I made use of the ingredients that have already existed in the pantry and tried my best to be versatile. If you have been following my blog, you will know that I have a Betty Crocker’s pancake mix which I suppose is normally used to make pancakes or crepes as the product name suggests. Being the person that I am, flexible and uncomplicated, I want the same for my food. Feel free to follow this super easy recipe and some improvements at the end of the post that can be made for more palatable mug cakes.
Apple chocolate mug cake (serves 2)
4 tablespoons Betty Crocker’s pancake mix
4 tablespoons of chocolate milk
1 red or green apple, diced
- Combine all the ingredients, except the diced apple, in a mug and whisk using a fork until it forms a well-mixed cake batter.
- Divide the cake batter into two mugs and add in the diced green apple.
- Microwave on high, one mug at a time, for 1 1/2 minutes and check whether the centre of the cake is cooked. If it is not yet done, microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Enjoy the apple chocolate mug cake.
The cake was understood to be savored directly in the mug but since the appearance looked quite unbecoming, I decided to plate it out :). When I was eating the cake using the recipe on the first trial, I was pondering upon possible improvements and modifications to enhance the not-so-cakey texture and flavor. Here are some:
- Use milk instead of water to be incorporated to the chocolate milk powder for more milky and gooey cake.
- Add a tablespoon of butter or vegetable oil to produce more moist cake.
- Add in an additional 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder for the cake to rise more.
- Experiment with peanut butter and banana or any kind of fruits and milk.
Have a great day, my friend!